Johnson City, Tennessee  
< Previous Historic Photos Vol. 3 Next >

St. Johns Episcopal Church
Hotel Windsor
Formerly Hotel Pardue
Envelope from Hotel Windsor
Room Rate Card: 1941
Majestic Theatre

Buffalo Street

Windsor Hotel Block
Sketch of Windsor Sign
Inventory of Roadway Signs
Ted Laws View

MajesticTheatre - 1927
Silent Movie at Majestic

ET&WNC Depot
1930 View with Buses
East Tennessee State Normal School

Southern Railway Depot
Depot Memories Article

West Market Street: City Hall on Right

Science Hill High School
1925 Science Hill Annual

West Market Street

Main Street - 1931

Carr Brothers Building Materials

J.D. Longmire and Wife:
Grocery on Spring Street
"Waiting for the Parade" Roan Street
Weighing Scales at City Hall

Clinchfield Railway Platform
Munsey Memorial Methodist Church
High Resolution Photo


Windsor Hotel on left

Franklin Hotel

Unaka Apartments

H. T. Hackney Co. Roan Street

Main at Roan Looking West

Unaka National Bank

Johnson City Foundry - 1926

Rural Road: South Johnson City

Tipton Street - 1924

Hotel Pardue Ad: 1909 (Later Hotel Windsor)
Menu from Pardue's Quick Lunch Counter

1902 Bank Note from Tennessee National Bank
Back of Currency

Note - Click on the thumbnail images above to link to larger images.

Sources - Archives of Appalachia, Burr Harrison Collection
Johnson City Development Authority Historical Collection
Johnson City Economic Development Board Collection
Sue Lyle Collection
Library of Congress

< Previous

From 1920 until 1930 Johnson City again doubled in population from the previous decade. The location of huge rayon manufacturing plants in neighboring Elizabethton along with consistent growth in the city's hardwood industries fueled residential and commercial development. The 1920s were a lively time as the city earned the nickname "Little Chicago." However, just ahead were The Great Depression and World War II which slowed growth throughout the Appalachian region and were major factors in Johnson City's limited population gains from 1930 - 1950. As passenger rail services declined, the city's role as a regional rail hub also gradually decreased in significance.

Since 1960, Johnson City has transitioned from an economy based largely on manufacturing and rail related industries to a service/institutional economic base with increasingly strong medical and educational components. The Quillen College of Medicine, the reconstructed Veterans Affairs Center, and the current renovation and upgrading of capital facilities for East Tennessee State University have made Johnson City, Tennessee one of the leading institutional centers within a five-state area.

Tables on the following photo pages show historical census population data for Johnson City.


Next >
Back to Johnson's Depot Homepage